Our Company Blog

Schedule A Professional Dryer Vent Cleaning With Us

Most homeowners know that many things around their house need annual inspections and maintenance. With help from a professional, you can ensure your household stays in tip-top shape all year long, and you’ll get the most from all of your appliances, too.

Now, if you’ve worked with the team here at Weststar Chimney Sweeps in the past, you know that you can count on us to handle all of your fireplace and chimney care, ensuring a safer burning season, no matter what. But did you know that we can clean your dryer vents, too? Count on our CSIA certified technicians to get the job done right.

A More Efficient ApplianceProfessional Dryer Vent Cleaning

If your dryer has not been giving you the fast, efficient results you expect, your first assumption might be that the appliance itself is at fault. Well, if longer than normal drying times is the problem, then there is a good chance the issue lies with the vents. Clogged and dirty vents can hinder airflow, causing your clothes to take abnormally long to dry.

No one wants to spend all day waiting on one load of laundry, so schedule that vent cleaning today to get the what you need from your appliance. You will also notice less lint in and around the dryer, and those musty odors should go away, too.

A Safer Appliance

Another major reason why dryer vent cleanings are important is because they keep your home safer. Did you know that thousands of house fires are caused by dirty dryer vents? When they clog up, your appliance overheats making your more prone to fires. Since the lint your dryer produces is extremely flammable, this puts you and your family members in quite a dangerous scenario!

A simple cleaning could save you hundreds, or possibly thousands in repair costs and it keeps your family safer. If you notice excess heat in your laundry room, or if the appliance itself seems extra hot, get your vents checked as soon as possible. It’s not worth taking any chances!

Along with this, backed up vents can cause carbon monoxide to enter your home. Carbon monoxide is one of the deadliest gases, and it is colorless and odorless — making it that much more threatening. Avoiding it at all costs is vital for staying healthy, which is why annual maintenance is so important for all gas appliances.

It is also a good idea to invest in carbon monoxide detectors for your home. They are affordable and efficient, when properly maintained, and they could save a life should harmful fumes enter the property.

Ready To Get Started?

Ready to ensure your dryer runs well for the long haul? Count on our team to help you out. Call now to set up your appointment.

Creosote: What Is It & Why Is It Dangerous?

Do you enjoy sitting by a nice, crackling fire with your family in the evenings? Wood-burning fireplaces are a great and popular addition to any home, but it is important to invest in regular upkeep to ensure things run well year after year. One thing homeowners need to be wary of is creosote accumulation.

Creosote is what forms in your chimney as you use your fireplace. As the fires burn, various fumes and particles escape up through the chimney, causing condensation to form along the brickwork on their way out. This then turns into creosote, which sticks to your interior walls and can be dangerous in larger quantities.

Creosote- Why It's Dangerous

Creosote & Chimney Fires

Now, there are a few different types of creosote you can have in your chimney, but no matter which type it is, it is flammable. If the creosote inside of your chimney or flue ignites, it could easily trigger a chimney fire, which is detrimental to the health and stability of your structure. In no time, your masonry will be run down and you won’t be getting the warmth you deserve from your system.

Chimney fires are known for causing brickwork to crack and crumble, and eventually this type of damage can lead to a settlement or collapse. Your chimney simply isn’t built to withstand those high temperatures, and the materials that make it up suffer immensely because of it.

Unfortunately, a chimney collapse isn’t the only thing to be concerned about when it comes to chimney fires. As cracks, holes, and other openings form throughout your system, gas and flames could easily escape into your home. Stray flames could quickly lead to a house fire, and if poisonous fumes, like carbon monoxide, enter the space your family will face some serious health risks.

If you have experienced a chimney fire, you should not put your system to use until a certified team of experts has had the opportunity to fix everything up. Just keep in mind that chimney fires are not always loud, obvious events. In fact, quite often they are unnoticed by anyone, meaning the homeowners won’t have even realized one occurred. This is why annual chimney inspections are such a necessity.

Set Up An Inspection With Us Today

If you are concerned about the health of your chimney, set up a time for our CSIA certified experts to come and help you out. The team at Weststar Chimney Sweeps is trained to perform a thorough chimney inspection, guaranteed to uncover any issues that may be putting your system at risk.

Give us a call now, so we can set you up right for the rest of winter. All fireplace owners should invest in at least one inspection per year, so if you have yet to get yours in, then now is the time. A simple and affordable service like this could save you from some costly repair work down the line! Get in touch with us today to get started.